SECURED REVENUE GENERATING INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS
Innovative Initiatives to Bring Economic Relief to Hawthorne
Since Haidar took the helm with financial oversight, Hawthorne has seen abundant economic development. Some key milestones include:
- Urth Caffe: The Los Angeles based coffee house/restaurant relocated its headquarters to Hawthorne, establishing the South Bay Commissary & Café in a former aerospace facility.
- Blaze Pizza: Blaze Fast-Fire’d Pizza opened in Hawthorne’s Glencourt; the 2,600 square foot restaurant has seating for 90 inside and 20 seats on an outdoor patio.
- Micro Breweries: Los Angeles Ale Works launched in 2013 and opened its public tasting kitchen in 2017 at 12918 Cerise Avenue. The grand opening featured the USC marching band.
- Parks and Transportation: Measure A was passed with 73% of the vote to provide $7.1 million in funding to improvements and new projects over 22 years. The funding supports transportation improvements and a new memorial park with Futsal Courts built in Hawthorne.
- India’s Tandoori: A successful restaurant with flavorful Indian cuisine including meats, seafood, and vegetarian options, plus a lunch buffet and food delivery and catering services.
- Boring Tunnel: In 2018, Haidar joined Elon Musk of Hawthorne in unveiling a test tunnel part of an advanced transportation system. The Hawthorne test tunnel is an important step for the Boring Company to improve its technology.
- SpaceX: In 2016, the company opened a new parking structure for its employeeson Crenshaw Blvd. Councilmember Awad was there to cut the ribbon alongside city officials, and SpaceX executives. In 2017, the company announced its Hyperloop system, a one-mile-long-high-speed transportation test project.
- Hyperloop Competition: In 2017, SpaceX announced the first Hyperloop competition, which featured 600 student competitors from 40 countries. The competition’s goal is to support the development of functional prototypes and encourage innovation by challenging student teams to design and build the best high-speed pod.
- Tesla: The company’s presence here has spurred projects such as two Marriott hotels being built in Hawthorne. Located at Hawthorne Airport, Tesla also has a design studio where the Model S electric Sedan and Model X electric SUV have been designed and developed.
- Downtown Hawthorne Specific Plan: Includes projects such as the mall, expected not only to attract visitors, but also technology companies in Silicon Beach looing to expand their footprint. On January 24, 2018, the economic vatality of the city was seen at the 3rd Annual Hawthorne Business Expo where over 50 local businesses were present. The 4th annual event in January 2019 brought 65 exhibitors including accountants, legal specialists, website designers, and others.
- Hawthorne Auto Square: Located on Prairie Avenue near the 105 Freeway, the dealership (which is owned by the Awad family) completed construction on its signature building intended to be a gateway to Hawthorne. The ribbon cutting ceremony in 2018 was attended by California State Treasurer John Chiang, State Senator Steve Bradford, and other elected officials.
- Marriott Module Hotel: The ground-breaking ceremony of the 221-room Courtyard by Marriot and 133-room TownePlace Suites by Marriot (complete with a 4,000 square foot restaurant) took place in 2018. The project demonstrated modular building techniques that increased speec on construction. Mayor Pro Tem Haidar Awad was present for the Grand Opening of the hotels, which are near local aerospace-based businesses, the new NFL stadium in Inglewood, and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
- Hawthorne Green Line Mixed Use Project: A transit-oriented development features commercial, residential, and office space with entertainment facilities. The design features 230 units and is constructed to encourage residents to walk, bike, or ride public transportation. The lot, located near the intersection of Crenshaw Boulevard and Jack Northrop Avenue, had long been vacant, and is expected to generate millions of dollars in revenue.